arteducation

The School Boy

 The School Boy




The school boy in the poem is not a happy child. What make him unhappy? Why does he compare himself to a bird that live in a cage, or a plant that withers when it should blossom.


I love to rise in a summer morn. 

When the birds sing on every tree: 

The distant huntsman winds his horn.

 And the skylark sings with me. 

O! what sweet company.


But to go to school in a summer morn,

O! It drives all joy away:

Under a cruel eye outworn,

The little ones spend the day.

In sighing and dismay.


Ah! then at times I drooping sit.

 And spend many an anxious hour.

 Nor in my book can I take delight. 

Nor sit in learnings bower.

 Worn thro' with the dreary shower,


How can the bird that is born for joy. 

Sit in a cage and sing.

How can a child when fears annoy.

But droop his tender wing.

And forget his youthful spring.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post